Saturday, May 2, 2009

Red Quinoa

A few weeks ago I made red quinoa using the Red Rice recipes from my Frida's Fiestas book. I think the picture in the book is really cool. I still haven't tried the white rice recipe.
I started by making a puree of the tomato, onion, and garlic. This puree wasn't as weird as the poblano puree, but it was still a little odd. It smelled delicious.Next I sauteed the quinoa in a dry pot for a few minutes. Quinoa looks much different before and after it's cooked. I added the puree and cooked everything for a few minutes.
Next I added chicken broth, celery, and lime juice and let it cook for 20 minutes.
Here is the finished red quinoa:I forgot to take a picture of it on my plate. I think I was hungry. :) I really liked how the red quinoa came out but I think the recipe might be better with rice. Maybe I'll try that next time!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, that looks so good. I like your blue flower-shaped measuring cup. We should definitely make the Mexican flag of rice (or quinoa) sometime. Maybe for a party!

Rafael said...

I reall like the Quinoa! I'm so glad you are started making it now. =)

JudyBop said...

Umm - looks delicious!