Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fried Plantains

I really love fried plantains. This was my second time making them. I haven't quite perfected them, but these were much better than my first try. I like fried plantains to be very soft and sweet so I let mine go black! It took a few weeks.
I think plantains are hard to peel, especially when they're not ripe like this one. Peeling them like bananas doesn't work. I cut a slit all the way down the side and took off the peel in portions.
Then I sliced it diagonally. And fried the pieces in some oil.
I was surprised that the plantain got softer as it cooked. I think fried plantains are best when they're crispy around the edges and really soft in the middle. I haven't mastered this yet, but these were still really delicious. Next time I think I'll make more than one.

Here is what I ate for dinner tonight. No plantains but still good!My salad had fresh lettuce (from the farmer's market!), cucumbers, carrots, cilantro, mint, light tofu (just as good as regular, I thought), hoisin sauce, and ground peanuts. I'm definitely making this again! I ground the peanuts with the immersion blender which was probably not a good idea.... but it was fun! ha!

5 comments:

Rafael said...

real good plantains! much better than what I have eaten at "some" restaurants :)

JudyBop said...

Looks delicious - I think you should cook dinner for me more often ;-).

Sarah said...

Wow, fancy food! Thanks for posting the secrets of fried plantains.

Rina said...

wow! that´s looks yummy!

Susan said...

Mmm... I love fried plantains. Can I come for dinner?