Monday, August 31, 2009

Katie's Pizza Adventure

Yesterday afternoon we got home from a trip to New York and I suddenly wanted to make pizza. Rafael was very nice and walked with me to the grocery store to get ingredients. Then I started my pizza adventure! I made two kinds of pizza - grilled and in the oven. This was my first time eating grilled pizza, but I had seen it and I wanted to try it. The grilling was really fun! I don't have a real grill so I used this cast iron stove top grill that Mom gave me for Christmas. It worked great! I just rolled out the dough and put it on the grill. I liked how it got so bubbly! I put some olive oil on top and flipped it over. I didn't get a picture because I wanted to put the toppings on right away so the cheese would melt. The grill marks look cool and they taste delish. I put on fresh mozzarella, regular mozzarella, tomato sauce, tomatoes, and basil. It came out light and crispy. Next time I think I'll put grilled veggies on the cheese instead of sauce. Maybe I'll add some goat cheese too. Raf and I both really liked it!

I also made pizza in the oven. I had made pizza before on a cookie sheet but I thought that the bottom got too hard so I decided to try something different. If I had a pizza stone I would have used that, but I thought a casserole dish would be similar. I didn't really know how it would turn out but it ended up being sort of like a deep dish pizza, but not so deep and without so much sauce and cheese. I rolled out the dough, put it in the dish, and added tomato sauce, chicken sausage, fresh mozzarella, and regular mozzarella and put it in the oven.Then I realized I forgot the tomatoes and basil so I took it back out of the oven and added them.This one took a lot longer to cook than the grilled pizza, but I think we liked it better. The crust had a really nice texture and tasted great with the toppings. I'll definitely make a pizza like this again.
I really liked my pizza making adventure! Thank you Rafael for being my loyal taste tester!

2 comments:

JudyBop said...

those look great! I haven't seen grilled pizza like that before but it looks really good.

Sarah said...

Wow, those both look so good! I want to try. The deep dish one is super pretty.